When planning a budget for your stay, please factor in and consider the following (please visit the Transportation page (coming soon) in the Visitor Info section for associated costs):
For apartment living:
- Most landlords require payment of the first month’s rent + security deposit (typically last month’s rent) in advance
- Start-up costs for utility deposits, household necessities and furnishings (e.g., furniture, linens, kitchenware)
- Utility costs average $100 per month for apartments (this includes gas, electricity, and cable/internet)
- Water and trash service are usually included in the rent
- Laundry costs average about $25 per month
*Recommendation for foreign visitors: Before paying a rental deposit and finalizing a rental agreement, please first obtain your travel visa. Most rental deposits are non-refundable. If your travel visa is delayed or denied, you may not receive a refund of any deposits you have paid.
Below is a chart of the average prices for apartments in the Santa Barbara area for 2014 as listed on the CHO website:
|Isla Vista||Goleta/Ellwood||Santa Barbara|
*Utilities typically included
For vacation rentals (see Short-term rentals):
- Utilities and cleaning are usually included in the rental price unless otherwise noted.
- A city or county tax of 10-12% may apply