The innovation engine for new materials

Travel Procedures

Traveling to a conference or a National Lab?  Planning to travel to Europe for a research collaboration? Travel is an important part of your research efforts. It is also an area that is subject to many rules and regulations.  Please help us to help you by reviewing the items below before making travel arrangments.  

All travel on University funding requires pre-approval.  Please complete the Travel Approval form, obtain your PI's signature, and submit to your MRL travel processor before your trip.

Prior to your departure:

All travel requires pre-approval. Please complete the Travel Approval form, obtain your PI’s signature, and submit to your MRL travel processor before your trip.

If you have expenses that need to be reimbursed before your trip:

Travel advances can be issued for expenses incurred prior to travel, such as airfare and registration fees. If you need an advance, please indicate this on the travel approval form and attach receipts for your incurred expenses.  Receipts must be itemized and show proof of payment.
Please plan ahead and submit advance requests at least 2 weeks prior to your trip.  Advances can’t be issued after you leave for your trip, or if you have previous travel advances that have not been cleared.
If you receive a travel advance, you are required to clear the advance within 14 days of your trip completion by submitting a travel reimbursement worksheet; this form is required, even if you don't have additional expenses to report.

If your itinerary will include personal time:

Plan on taking personal time to explore a city while you’re away? If your purchased airfare is indirect and/or includes personal time, please print a quote that shows what the cost of airfare would have been for direct travel on business dates.  Submit the quote to us in addition to your actual airfare receipt.   The quote should be printed on the same date that you actually purchase your ticket.

If you need to rent a car:

In order to receive reduced rates that include insurance coverage, car rental reservations with Hertz, National and Enterprise need to be made under the UC contract number. If you do not use the UC contract, any additional insurance coverage you consent to is not a reimbursable expense.
Recommendation: Use Connexxus!  Car rental reservations made through Connexxus are automatically booked under the UC contract, at discounted rates with full insurance coverage included.

If you want to direct bill your airfare:

Use Connexxus!  The BCD Travel and UC Travel Center booking tools in Connexxus offer the option to direct bill your airfare to UCSB.  To direct bill airfare, please provide your itinerary to your MRL travel processor and request a direct bill authorization number (DBAN) to finalize your booking.

If you are traveling outside the US:

Under the Fly America Act, US Flag Carriers must be used for all travel paid on federal funds, including NSF.  Please book all foreign travel on federal funds directly through a flag carrier website, for example American Airlines or United Airlines.
Due to the complicated nature of foreign travel, please discuss foreign travel plans with your MRL travel processor in advance.
Please ensure that your travel is registered for UC Business Travel Insurance.

During travel: Receipts and documentation:

As a traveler on University funding, it is your responsibility to ensure that your travel expenses are reasonable and well-documented.
Please keep receipts for all of your transportation expenses (airfare, rental car, taxi, metro, bus), lodging, parking, baggage fees, etc.  
When requesting reimbursement for travel expenses such as airfare, rental cars, lodging and registration fees, we require an itemized receipt showing payment confirmation. We cannot accept quotes or estimates.  
If you are missing a required receipt, please fill out the Documentation of Missing Evidence form


Currently, we do not require receipts for meals during travel, but there is a $62/day maximum allowance. This is NOT to be treated as a per diem rate.  You should report meal expenses based on the actual expenses you have incurred.  You will be required to provide meal receipts if you appear to be treating the daily maximum allowance as a per diem.

If you share a hotel room, please request that the invoice is divided accordingly. This is especially important if you and your roommate are not funded on the same account.  Failure to do so may delay your reimbursement.
Travel Packages:

Reimbursement of travel packages is only allowed if you can provide an itemized breakdown of the expenses, for example the exact amount charged for airfare, car rental, lodging, etc.  Travel packages should not be booked unless you have confirmed that each aspect of the package will be separately itemized.  Please do not purchase travel packages through vendors such as Travelocity and Expedia.

Upon your return:

Please turn in your reimbursement worksheet signed by your PI along with all receipts within 21 days of your trip completion.
Domestic travel reimbursement worksheet
Foreign travel reimbursement worksheet
Unsure of who should receive your travel reimbursement paperwork?
Please submit to:

Sylvia Vogel for MRL-funded travel
Sara Sorensen for ICMR-funded travel
Samantha Crossno for DowMI-funded travel and MC-CAM-funded travel

What is Connexxus?

Connexxus is an online travel booking system available to UC employees that provides discounted rates on car rentals, hotels, and airfare.  UCSB employees can easily log into the system using their UCSBnetID and password at the following link:
In addition to cost savings for the University, benefits of using Conexxus include:
* Car rentals with Hertz, National and Enterprise are automatically booked at UC-contracted rates, which include insurance coverage.
* Direct billing of airfare is available.
* All travel booked through the Connexxus system is automatically registered with UC’s Business Travel Insurance plan.

What is UC Business Travel Insurance?

UC Business Travel Insurance provides additional coverage to UC employees traveling on official University business for emergency medical evacuation, out-of-country medical expenses, loss of personal effects, and security extraction.
If you book your travel through Connexxus, your travel will be automatically registered.
If you book your travel outside of Connexxus, please register your out-of-state and foreign travel plans by going to and completing the "Business Traveler Insurance" form. Upon completion of the brief registration form, you will be provided with a Confirmation of Coverage card with the insurance policy number and important contact information. You should carry this card until the completion of your trip.