In March 2020, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, all laboratories at UC Santa Barbara were closed, allowing access only to essential workers to maintain critical laboratory functions. The MRL is now in the process of a staged reopening, allowing select researchers to resume some on-campus research activity. The links below provide information and resources for MRL researchers seeking access to the Materials Research Laboratory. Please check this page regularly, as policies and protocols are updated frequently.
Please read: Information on Research Ramp-Up
Materials Research Laboratory Access
The MRL may only be entered with prior approval by the Building Committee and your PI. At this time there will be no office access (2nd and 3rd floor) allowed for anyone other than faculty or staff. The building will be open by key-card access for approved workers only from 8:00 AM-5PM (excluding weekends). Prior to entry, please read the appropriate Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) which contain important information regarding the preconditions for campus work, protocols for entry/exit, sanitation procedures, etc. Each laboratory will maintain a separate SOP and training protocol – please contact each PI or Facility Manager prior to the start of work.
Please refer to the CORRECT SOP's for the labs you wish to enter.
- Package Handling SOP
- Building Attestation of Compliance and Procedures - Required before gaining access. Must be emailed to sylvia [at] mrl [dot] ucsb [dot] edu
- Daily Health Attestation Form - Must be emailed ONCE ONLY to sylvia [at] mrl [dot] ucsb [dot] edu
- Rapid Response Mailing List ( sign up so critical information can be relayed quickly to anyone with access to the MRL )
All safety documents must be sent to sylvia [at] mrl [dot] ucsb [dot] edu before scheduling any time in the MRL and before contacting a lab manager.
Submitting Access Schedules
Faculty and Facility Managers should submit their schedule requests each week by e-mailing mrlbuilding [at] mrl [dot] ucsb [dot] edu by NOON on WEDNESDAY for access the following Monday through Friday. Questions regarding scheduling should be directed to mrlbuilding [at] mrl [dot] ucsb [dot] edu . Students should not submit requests directly.
- Daily Health Attestation Form
- EH&S COVID-19 Info for Researchers
- Office of Research Info for Researchers
- CDC Guidelines
- SB County Public Health Portal
- COVID-19 Information - UCSB
- Student Health After Hours Care Locations and Contact Info