In March 2020, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, all laboratories at UC Santa Barbara were closed, allowing access only to essential workers to maintain critical laboratory functions. The MRL is now in the process of a staged reopening, allowing select researchers to resume some on-campus research activity. The links below provide information and resources for MRL researchers seeking access to the Materials Research Laboratory. Please check this page regularly, as policies and protocols are updated frequently.
Please read: Information on Research Ramp-Up
Materials Research Laboratory Access
The MRL may only be entered with prior approval by the Building Committee and your PI. At this time there will be no office access (2nd and 3rd floor) allowed for anyone other than faculty or staff. The building will be open by key-card access for approved workers only from 8:00 AM-Midnight (including Sat and Sun). Prior to entry, please read the appropriate Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)s which contain important information regarding the preconditions for campus work, and complete all of the requirements listed below. Each laboratory will maintain a separate SOP and training protocol.
If you had access to the MRL building pre-COVID, complete all the requirements below to regain MRL building access. If you have never had access to the MRL building, please contact the appropriate PI(s) or Facility Manager(s) for the lab's specific and department specific pre-COVID access requirements, and do this before requesting physical laboratory access. Then complete all of the COVID access requirements outlined below and confirm that you have MRL door access with Sylvia Vogel, sylvia [at] mrl [dot] ucsb [dot] edu.
MRL COVID Access Requirements:
- Please read the MRL Building Plan and refer to the CORRECT SOP's for the labs you wish to enter: SOPs
- Self-enroll in UCSB's Daily COVID-19 Screening Enrollment. You must have a UCSBnetID to self-enroll.
- Forward the confirmation of self-enrollment or green 'cleared to work on-campus' email ONCE ONLY to sylvia [at] mrl [dot] ucsb [dot] edu
- Building Attestation of Compliance and Procedures - Required before gaining access. Must be emailed to sylvia [at] mrl [dot] ucsb [dot] edu
- EH&S Training Video on "Return to Work" through the Learning Center
- Office of Research Presentation on COVID-19
- Rapid Response Mailing List - Sign up so critical information can be relayed quickly to anyone with access to the MRL.
- Resource Scheduling Instructions through FBS - Schedule rooms and equipment through FBS. Build time into your room reservation to clean before and after and wrap up.
- Request a Slack channel invitation from the Lab Manager or safety delegate who you will work with.
- We have a short weekly safety meeting on Tuesdays at 12:30. If you are on the Rapid Response mailing list, you will receive the meeting link.
Room and Equipment Scheduling
All scheduling for MRL room and equipment scheduling occurs through FBS . Please refer to the "Resource Scheduling Instructions through FBS" above for specific processes. For special access requests, please contact mrlbuilding [at] mrl [dot] ucsb [dot] edu.
In-person training in the labs requires advance approval. If you would like to train another researcher on an instrument or laboratory procedure, please e-mail a proposed training plan to your PI and the Lab Manager outlining the precautions you will be taking and who will be participating in the training. Best practices for in-person training are outlined here. Any exceptions to policy require advance approval of the MRL Building Committee.
UCSB COVID-19 Testing Program
UCSB has an asymptomatic COVID testing program in place on campus. Weekly testing is highly recommended for all faculty, staff and researchers who are regularly on campus. Appointments are booked by logging in with your netID here. FAQs on the program are available here. For information on other testing resources in the community, please visit here.
Questions & Feedback
For special access requests, questions regarding processes or policy, or other MRL building information, please contact mrlbuilding [at] mrl [dot] ucsb [dot] edu.
The MRL has an anonymous form for anyone to report concerns. The link is https://forms.gle/57NT4P1FTkjb2h9RA.
- Daily Health Attestation Form
- N95 Voluntary Use Consent Form
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Package Handling SOP (Only people picking up deliveries need to read this)
- EH&S COVID-19 Info for Researchers
- Office of Research Info for Researchers
- CDC Guidelines
- SB County Public Health Portal
- COVID-19 Information - UCSB
- Student Health After Hours Care Locations and Contact Info